Fireworks Safety

Did you know the following Annual Statistics?

      • Number of injuries per 100 lbs of Fireworks used: 3.5
      • Number of deaths in the US annually due to fireworks: 4
      • Number of serious injuries in the US each year by fireworks: 9,300
      • Percent of injuries caused by illegal fireworks: 40 % 1
      • Percent of injuries incurred by kids under the age of 14: 45%
      • Number of Americans who lose sight in one or both eyes due to fireworks: 400
      • Number of US fires caused each year due to fireworks: 20,000
      • Percent of all US fire dollar loss caused by fireworks: .01%

( )

With all that in mind, let’s talk safety. What can we do to minimize risk in our own homes, our kids and our pets?

      • Read labels before igniting. Check instructions for special storage directions.
      • Do not drink alcohol while doing fireworks, wait until afterward.
      • Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
      • Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
      • Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
      • Never relight a “dud” firework.  Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
      • Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
      • Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
      • Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
      • Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
      • Observe local laws.
      • Never have any portion of your body directly over a firework while lighting.
      • Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.

Safety for Pets!

      • Don’t bring your pets to a fireworks display, even a small one.
      • If fireworks are being used near your home, put your pet in a safe, interior room to avoid exposure to the sound.
      • Make sure your pet has an identification tag, in case it runs off during a fireworks display.
      • Never shoot fireworks of any kind near pets.

Safety for kids!

Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees – hot enough to melt some metals.

10% of all Fireworks injuries come from something we willingly give to small children!

      • Very young children should NOT be permitted to use fireworks, NOT EVEN SPARKLERS. Their temperatures are very dangerous for someone inexperienced and should only be handled by older kids and adults.
      • Older children should be permitted to use fireworks only under close adult supervision. Do not allow any running or horseplay.