Motor Cycle Season: Are You Covered Correctly?

Michigan’s Auto No-Fault insurance does not include motorcycles within its definition of how the law defines a “Motor Vehicle.” If you have an auto accident, no-fault insurance pays for your medical expenses, wage loss benefits, replacement services, and the damage you do to other people’s property. Motorcyclists are not always excluded from No-Fault benefits, if injury is caused by the operation or use of a “motor vehicle” then the motorcyclist are able to collect No-Fault benefits for injuries. But, if the motorcyclist crashes on their own, benefits cannot be collected for their injuries.

Dealing with a motorcycle, the minimum requirements is to have liability only or is sometimes referred to “PLPD coverage”. This required coverage provides liability to the motorcyclist if at fault during an accident that causes bodily injury, death, or property damage to another person. What if a motorcyclist is injured while riding their motorcycle and a motor vehicle is not involved, do they have injury benefits?

With motorcycle insurance, it is the choice of the insured to have “medical payments” or not. Medical payments are a requirement set by the State of Michigan if you are riding without a helmet. Because there are times when an injured motorcyclist may not be entitled to collect no-fault benefits, all motorcyclists are encouraged to obtain additional insurance coverage to protect them in case they are involved in an accident. Medical payments are similar to Personal Injury Protection (PIP) on an auto policy, medical benefits help pay for medical costs after a motorcyclist is injured during a crash, no matter who is at fault. This type of coverage is inexpensive and at the time of an accident provides proper coverage that all motorcyclists should have.

Here at the Dearborn Agency, coverages that are recommended on your motorcycle insurance are:

1) Medical Payments, that cover you medically at the time of an accident

2) Uninsured/underinsured motorist– Helps the financial burden if you are involved in an accident and the other person is at fault but does not have insurance; this inexpensive coverage involves Bodily injury or Property damage that should have been covered on the other persons policy but the other person was either underinsured or uninsured. With insurance rates the way they are, it is a good chance if involved in an accident someone else will be either be underinsured or uninsured. This coverage is to protect you at the time of a loss.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact a Dearborn Agency Specialist to assist you.